Thursday, October 8, 2009

#4 (Slightly shortened)

Mental Toughness Secret #4
Champions are driven by emotional motivators.

The masses are primarily motivated by extrinsic motivators such as material possessions and money.
The world class is motivated intrinsically, by their dreams, desires, and passions.
External motivation is short lived, while internal motivation is nearly impossible to exhaust until the goal is achieved.
World class leaders know the secret to motivating themselves and others is discovering what they will fight for when the going gets tough.
The great ones move from logic based motivators to emotion based motivators. They know the key to finding the true power of the individual lies in the deep recesses of the psyche.

When a performer begins to experience physical or emotional pain in the heat of battle, the brain, whose primary role is self preservation, asks the question: Why must I suffer? The champion while answer the question with a vision they have carefully constructed, and they will continue to fight. Since the masses lack this mental clarity and have no reason to suffer, they quit as soon as the pain kicks in.
Developing a world class vision is the secret to world class motivation.

Action:
Ask yourself these 5 critical thinking questions:

1. What am I willing to fight for?

2. What values do I hold dearest to my heart?

3. What values would I be willing to die for?

4. If I could achieve a single thing, what would my all my hard work worth the struggle?

5. If I had 30 seconds left to live, what would I tell my children are the 3 most important things about how to live a happy life.

Your answers to these questions will tell you a lot about what drives you emotionally.

No comments: